The Admissions Process for Community Christian School
At Community Christian School, the process of accepting a student for admission to the elementary, middle or high school is a decision that is carefully and prayerfully made. As a covenantal model Christian school, we are looking for parents who are active in a local church and are sincerely seeking a partnership that will result in working well together for the education of their child. (At least one parent must be a professing Christian and willing to sign the contract which includes the Parents Affirmation of Belief.) We have found that when we invest the time it takes to get to know a family during the admissions process, we will be most likely to ensure a strong partnership between the school and the family.
STEP 1: Parent Informational Meeting
This is an appointment with an administrator that includes a campus tour and a time for answering general questions that the parents may have about the CCS program.
STEP 2: Complete the Admissions Application Packet
- Admissions Application: There is a non-refundable application fee of $95. Once the school admissions director has received this, the office will begin an admissions file and the student will be officially in the admissions process.
- References: These forms are written in a checklist, short answer format and may be mailed or faxed back.
- Academic Reference: should be completed by the student’s current teacher
- Teacher Reference: for Kindergarten and First Grade Only
- Personal Reference: should be completed by someone who knows the student, such as a family friend, scout leader, neighbor, etc.
- Pastor Reference: should be completed by a leader in your current church. It is not necessary that they know the child; it is more our concern that the family is known to be an active part of a local church.
STEP 3: Additional information which must be provided
- At least two years of report cards or transcripts from the student’s previous school, including the most recent. If the application takes place during a school year, please submit information for the completed part of the current year.
- At least two years of achievement test scores.
- Copies of special education testing of any kind.
- For students entering CCS in first grade: testing is required at CCS to determine readiness. The cost is $75 and is non-refundable. This fee covers the cost of administering, scoring and interpreting the test and is scheduled through the Educational Services Department.
STEP 4: Admissions Interview
Once the admissions file is complete with all of the above, the Admissions Director will contact the family to set up the final parent interview and a time for the student to ‘shadow’ in the classroom (shadowing is available in upper elementary through high school) . This final interview will be with the administrator of the division of the school for which you are applying. Both parents should attend, if possible. For students entering grades 4-12 the student must also attend. The student will be interviewed separately and must demonstrate a desire to attend CCS in order to be considered. At this time, students entering middle or high school may be administered a math test and asked to provide a writing sample.
STEP 5: Admission Committee
Once the file is complete (including all references) and the final interview has taken place, the file goes to the Admissions Committee for a final decision. This committee prayerfully reviews all of the information and comes to one of the following decisions:
- Acceptance: The student is accepted and will be admitted once the registration fee is paid and the contract is signed.
- Conditional acceptance: One or more conditions must be met prior to full acceptance.
- Acceptance to a waiting pool: This means that the grade level is closed at this time but all suitable candidates are considered to be accepted in the event of an opening.
- Non-acceptance: This decision indicates that the Admissions Committee does not feel that CCS can adequately meet the needs of this student.
- A student who has been accepted is not enrolled at CCS until the contract has been signed and returned to the business office with the registration fee.
- The general time frame for the above process is that once the file and interview are complete, a decision is made by the Committee within one week. For students with special education concerns, the decision may take two weeks.
- Students who have been suspended or expelled from another school are not eligible for admission.